Thursday, January 16, 2014

Vintage Thursday: "White Popcorn-Stitch Headband"

I saw this headband years ago when I first moved to Boston on somebody's blog. I even acquired the pattern with the intention of making it, and in the odd way that the knitblog world works, I'm pretty sure I passed the blogger on the street in the North End while they were wearing the headband. We exchanged silent but meaningful knitter looks about the awesomeness of the headband, and then dissolved into the crowd. Really. The North End is crowded and the sidewalks are about two feet wide with poles sticking up all over them in inconvenient places, like exactly where you meant to stand. One can't ogle hand knits long on a North End sidewalk without beaming yourself on a pole.
From the etsy shop knitsomuch
I have upgraded my computer several times since then and even changed email accounts, so the pattern was lost to me in the chaos that is life. But yesterday I found it again, this time at an etsy shop called  knitsomuch that is selling pdf scans of pre-1960 vintage patterns. (Something I should think about since I collect vintage pattern books and magazines, and have had more than one person inquire about pattern sharing. I have been in the habit of just saying no because I haven't had the time or focus to look up the copyright issues.) It has a very mundane name, as many vintage patterns do: White Popcorn Stitch Headband (1960). The scanned pages included a couple other knits that appeared on the same pages, including the mysteriously titled Blue Chin Strap Cap, which I think I am going to knit just to see how it turns out.
The headband at rest
The pattern calls for US #9 needles, which may or may not be vintage sized... the gauge called for was 4.5 sts = 1 inch so I just made a judgement call. I have been hoarding saving a skein of Lamb's Pride Worsted in "Golden Mushroom" for a couple years with the intention of making a highly textured hat - bobbles or something - so it fit the bill for popcorns. (A note on popcorns: they were absolutely and utterly no fun until I realized I could use a crochet hook to make them, since they involve making 5 sts in ONE sts, and then slipping them all over the final stitch. Ugh!) Lamb's Pride Worsted allegedly works out at 4.5 sts = 1 inch on modern US #8 (5 mm) needles, so I just used those. If it came out a bit small it's not a problem because I am petite. In fact, that might be for the best.
Sometimes it's hard to pick a flattering facial expression
I braved the snow flurries today, then took these pictures, so please excuse me if I look a little dishabille and put out. Weather offends me sometimes. (Ok, most of the time.Why is it always too cold, too hot, or too muggy? I swear, the wind whistles through my room sometimes.)
I wore it tied behind my head, but next time I'm going to go for the chin strap position because my ears were a tad cold. But all in all, I'm really satisfied with it. I would consider making another one.

In other news, the results of the vintage UFO poll was very close. The winner (by one vote!) was the 1920's Argyle-ish stockings. Obediently, I have begun working on them.

I haven't even ripped them out much since restarting. Really.

No comments: